PREPARATION TIME: 15mins
SERVES: Makes 4 burgers
1 medium eggplant, weighing about 1 lb.
3/4 tbsp olive oil
3/4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp dry Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
4 oz halloumi cheese
To assemble the grilled eggplant, halloumi and pesto burgers:
4 medium sized burger buns
4 tsp pesto
Mayonnaise, according to taste
2 leaves of lettuce, cut in half
1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
1. Cut the eggplant into ½ inch thick rounds, at its widest part. Save the remaining eggplant for another dish. Place the sliced eggplant in a shallow dish.
2. Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper together. When adding salt, keep in mind that the halloumi is an already salty cheese.
3. Pour the whisked ingredients over the eggplant rounds, and toss well to coat.
4. Slice the halloumi into ½ inch thick slices.
5. Heat a grill on medium-high heat (outdoor grill or cast iron stove top grill)
6. When the grill is hot, arrange the eggplant slices on the grill, and cookfor about 6 minutes on each side or till the eggplant is cooked.
7. Then grill the halloumi slices on both sides till golden grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side.
8. If you don't have a grill, you can cook the eggplant and halloumi in batches on a large skillet.
9. You are now ready to assemble the burgers.
10. Spread some mayonnaise, if using, on 2 halves of a burger bun. Take one half of a bun, and stack the grilled eggplant, halloumi and spread 1 teaspoon of pesto. Top it with tomato and lettuce. place the other half of the burger bun on top.
11. Serve with fries or a chilled cucumber salad tossed with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.